Last week we began #mamatakesfive – five minutes each day to take a little breathing room and do something that helps us to rest and reflect for the sake of our mental wellbeing. No screens, no distractions- you can read more about that here.
What I know is that unless you know exactly what you will do when your five minutes come along you can miss your chance without making the most of it.
So here are 5 things you can do and 5 times you can take do so.
Things you could do in your five minutes
- Take a walk in the fresh air on your own
- Sit in quiet and enjoy having no technology, to do lists or people needing your attention.
- Write down your joys from the day/ week.
- Read something inspiring.
- Do a brain dump- just write down all the things that are rolling around in your head.
Times to take five
- Before your feet hit the floor in the morning- waking a few minutes before your little ones is hard but great when it works.
- A few moments while your children play happily. (Until they need you again!)
- Naptime. It’s so easy to rush around or vegetate with something easy- but taking a bit of intentional refreshing time is really good.
- Transitioning between kids bedtime and your evening. I love to spend a few minutes sitting in quiet in my room before I go downstairs to commence tidying or whatever is next.
- Before your head hits the pillow- reflecting on your day, making plans for the next one and remembering the highs and lows.
Trying to be consistent with taking just five or ten minutes a day to do something like this can make a big difference. When I started doing it, I had actually taken time like this but hadn’t noticed it or realised I did have some space in my day that I hadn’t acknowledged previously. When our mindset shifts it can affect the rest of our actions that flow from it.
Take a photo of your spot for #mamatakesfive and share it with us on facebook or instagram– encouraging others to do the same could have such a positive effect on so many mamas, new or seasoned, and so many others through that. You matter, your mental space matters, and you can take a bit of time to take five.
PS. Don’t forget journals are on sale this week with code MAMATAKESFIVE!